Friday, January 12, 2007

Gays vs. Philogynists

Tonight I had a haircut for the first time in four months.

"Long time no see....," Uemura-san, my hairdresser in Tokyo, said.

"Yeah, I haven't had a haircut since September in New York's Vidal Sassoon."

Uemura-san (see picture, left) used to work for Vidal Sasson's Covent Garden salon in London for like six years, and climbed up the ladder to the position as an instructor of its academy. Now, his ex-students include Mr. Richard Ashhorse, the International Art Director, who makes the latest international trend of Vidal Sassoon. I really like Sassoon's unique haircut called "Shake," a midium-length layer cut like Samantha in Sex and the City, and Valerie in Beverly Hills, 90210 (see pictures below.)

He is the only hairdresser who understands the technical term "Shake" and accepts my request in Tokyo. But now he has his own style, sort of graduating from Vidal Sassoon. So, sometimes he blends his own opinion, which I don't really like, but tonight I was almost (95%) satisfied.

Anyway....what I like about him is that he is such a great conversationalist. It's just so pleasant to chat with him. I think he is genius in keeping the perfect mental distance with his customer.

Today he said very interesting things. In the beauty industry, there are distinct demographic characteristics: successful clothes designers are predominantly gays, so are the top three make-up artists in the world. But most top hairdressers are straight and philogynists.....wow, why is that??

No comments: