Monday, January 29, 2007

Photogenic


Last week, I went on a business trip to Kobe for an international conference. Last time when I was in the city was when I was still fourteen. My family went to see the Portpia Expo -- my impression was it was such a new, clean city. After the massive earthquake in 1995 which killed more than 6,000 people, the city looked rather new again.

My colleagues asked me about the earthquake, saying it was big news in the United States as well. I felt it was a good thing that the conference was held in Kobe, attracting participants from across the world, letting them think about the earthquake and victims, and allowing them to spend some money there and thus helping reviving the local economy.

When my coworkers and I went for dinner, our big boss saw a picture of me just taken with my digital camera, and said, "Keiko, you're photogenic." I wondered if it's a complement.......My inner Miranda said to myself, "So, ipso facto, are you saying I'm not pretty enough in the flesh?"

After the conference, I went to the Himeji Castle, a World Cultural Heritage and National Treasure site, on Saturday. As I sorted out the digitized pictures, I thought, "Wow, this castle is really photogenic." Well, it is indeed beautiful, so it doesn't matter if it's in the picture or in the flesh....correct??

No comments: