Saturday, January 20, 2007

McMillan & Wife


When I searched something in Google, somehow that reminded me of an American TV show called McMillan & Wife in the 1970s. I used to see it as a small child, like 8 or 9 years old, and secretly admired the main character McMillan.

One scene clinging to my mind was a gorgeous winding staircase in a large, dark, bluish room -- which stopped my heart. I don't remember the context, actually couldn't mostly understand the adult stories given my age back then. But I loved the overall atmosphere.

Since my early childhood, even before going school, I have much preferred Western culture in terms of books and shows. For other instance, I had all the series of books of Curious George. I had no interest in Japanese folk stories. I just couldn't stand especially when they were written in a dialect.

Anyhow, I didn't know the English title McMillan & Wife, as the Japanese translation is a bit different (Shocho Mcmillan -- meaning Commissioner McMillan.) So, I was delighted to find its DVDs on Amazon.com, which began to be on sale not a long time ago. Apparently, Americans also felt nostalgia for the show.

The DVDs arrived last night! I'm sooo looking forward to seeing where my most favorite scene is, and finally understand the stories........

No comments: